Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Robots Are Our Friends?

In the discussion about the future of robots you have two camps: the C-3POs and the Terminators. The C-3POs are friendly, helpful, and will most certainly not turn on you and destroy humanity. The Terminator is, well, the opposite. More often then not, movies tend to lean toward the Matrix side rather than A.I. (Kubrick), because it's more fun and, in my opinion, a much better movie (A.I. sucked).

So I came across this video the other day that put me in a quandry. Here it is below...


Funktionide Part II from eltopo on Vimeo.


This is the Funktionide made by some crazy ass Germans (I knew they'd come back to finish what they started!!!). It is designed to help ease lonliness by simulating the muscle reactions of a human at rest....except it's a robot pillow. The Funktionide (German for crazy ass pillowbot) using a unique electroactive polymers, which is a network of plastic pockets that are stimulated by electric charges, simulate muscle movement. So its a robot...that's designed to be our friend. Hmmmm.

Enough explaining. This thing frightens me more than zombie dentist clowns!! It crawls onto the bed with him!!! ....AND HE LETS IT!! What the hell! What is there to stop this robot pillow from smothering you in your sleep?!

"Oh, Jonathan. You look so lonely. Here, let me put you out of your misery." (pillow talking...lol, pillow talk. Sorry.)

I would have to vote Terminator on this. We need to stop SkyNet, or, HimmelFangen, as it would be in German. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they weren't marketing it to the Jewish community....ok, I went a bit too far there.

Germans, stop trying to make our robot friends and make finish our beerbots!! Lot's of thirsty people over here!

2 comments:

  1. Dude wow. That is super creepy. That guy needs a girlfriend, but no girl would ever go out with him if she saw that pillow. She'd be all like, um, no. This is not happening for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the creepiest thing I have ever seen! I mean a breathing lump is supposed to be comforting? I would be afraid that something would burst forth from this giant larvae and attack me!

    ReplyDelete